SO RA NO WO TO / ソ・ラ・ノ・ヲ・ト ANIME REVIEW


Kanata Sorami is a new military recruit that is assigned to a bastion located at Seize; the city of lakes and glass. She works as a bugler inspired by also a military bugler that she met when she was young. The story revolves on their military duties and responsibilities that have more to do with the citizens. She is lively, energetic and also a clumsy girl. Rio Kazumiya is admired by Kanata, she is also a skilled bugler. Noel Kannagi, the genius of the platoon and not much a talker, she is also the engineer and driver of the tank. Kureha Suminoya is their gunner, she also resembles Kanata in terms of personality. Felicia Heideman, their captain that acts like their mother. Krauss, admired by Kureha for being the famous tanker “Desert Wolf”. He is a courier who rides a Zundapp KS750 motorcycle.


About the opening theme I liked it very well, shows a great message about the story. It’s not a typical common visualization, but there is only one thing that is a bit off for me, that is the part of when Kanata is smiling and looking back. Same goes for the ending theme, they put a strong message. At first I thought this was going to be drama and full of action, I am aware that there be spider-like tanks that I saw on the internet. But this is a slice of life with moral lessons, more on helping the citizens than using their guns. It’s not like the other animes that is set on big expensive city and the characters go out and spend their allowance. So Ra No Wo To shows  how fun their simple life on town. On first episode when Kanata introduced, I really liked her because of her personality. The people on Seize is nice, I liked the time she came, there is a festival and Rio narrating the story of fire maiden. The timing is perfect. This show’s timeline is exactly one year, I like how Kanata came to Seize on the festival and the show also ends on the exact festival day. The backstory of how the bygone era got me really curious of what happened, how did humanity extinct. I also notice some of consumerism that is noticeable at the very first episode. When Kanata look to her wrist watch the brand is Cristal watch. It also looks like Bulova, a common watch among soldiers on WWII. The pacing of this anime is stable not fast or slow, they developed all the characters, well written. This show is not for people who always want action because this is slice of life but with some exciting scenes. I also learned that So Ra No Wo To was part of “Anime no Chikara” or “The Power of Anime” project of TV Tokyo and Aniplex in 2009 for creating original anime series that is not based on already exist materials like games, manga, visual novels and light novels so it has nothing to do with K-On an anime that is quite similar to this.


As for plot twists, So Ra No Wo To is full of surprise that will surely leave a smile on you. There be some surprising moment about the identity of Krauss and Rio. I got curious when Kanata received her paycheck when their bastion is low on supply. In the main series they already give a hint but they will reveal more on So Ra No Wo To Specials, like their sideline on their underground brewery. The Special episode are really vital and is very connected to the main series.


In terms of locations and settings, there is not much to expect, and I liked it. Seize, Treize, Capital, No Man’s Land, Helvetia and Roman their enemy. So along when I am searching So Ra No Wo To online, I learned that Seize is a real place in Spain. You can look up on it, I highly suggest it because the place, buildings, landmarks are really the same in anime, I know that it happens also in other anime but it is just amazing. The moment that they met a Roman soldier, she is speaking I think German, because of “Danke” which means “Thank you” in German. I did not expect that because I thought Helvetia is the German in anime.


When I am searching the wikia, I found out that this show has a game, visual novel titled So Ra No Wo To: Otome no Gojuusou. Because when I am reading some character profile on wikia, I saw that this visual novel is connected to the anime somehow and has an affect on some characters, so that’s a good side story. I saw a character on wikia that I do not remember that is in the anime but only in visual novel. This might be a good game so I might check it out as soon as possible.


The scene that really amaze and got me goosebump is when the tank Takemikazuchi had been operated. This is also my awaited moment in watching, to get that tank working. When Kanata begun to play the trumpet and the tank fired the wall the song Servante De Feu started to play. The Takemikazuchi is really cool on that scene, the animation on its leg is just perfect and you know something cool is going to happen. 


Also one of my favourite scene is when Noel writes her wish. “A lovely wife” or “A cute bride” she written on wooden board. I didn’t expect Noel dreams marrying. My favourite characters is both Kanata and Noel, if I had to pick only, then I can’t. Noel is just too cute.

Some questions that still left me curious is the ghost on bastion. I also want to know more about of what will happen in future if the land is shrinking as Rio said, more land is turning into desert. Also there should be more screen time about the princess because she seems to be a very important key character. I am also curious of why they can’t read kanji even if they are using it. Kanata can write kanji but seems can’t read one. Same for others like Kureha and Felicia. I am also very curious on how the world ends, or what happened to the bygone era. That Felicia having a conversation with a fallen soldier is intriguing.


I am surprised that this show is not that popular even it’s too good. While I was watching this, I already knew it will be on my all time favourite top list. Knowing that this anime is already aired 8 years ago, there be no season 2, but I still have my hopes. When I am almost at the ending, I felt sad. So Ra No Wo To or Sound of the Sky is a masterpiece.

0 Comments